I will be starting my Medication Use Evaluation rotation today and my personal learning objectives are:
- Improve and build a systematic approach to performing literature searches and critically appraising
- E.g. Gain more familiarity and use at least 2 different tools to perform critical appraisal
- Develop an approach to reviewing Cochrane Reviews and a template to submitting feedback for literature
Will continue to add objectives as the rotation progresses! 🙂
The following are the objectives from the manual:
- MUE Roles & Responsibilities
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of MUE within LMPS, including, but not limited to:
- Regional and local Pharmacy / Drugs and Therapeutics Committee support
- Pre-printed Orders creation and management
- Drug policy / protocol / guideline creation and regulation
- Evaluation of drug use through retrospective chart review, drug usage reports, etc.
- Formulary Management
- Define formulary management and discuss the components necessary for success.
- Describe the steps necessary for addition/deletion of formulary items.
- Outline possible methods of alerting pharmacy/medical staff of changes to formulary items, therapeutic alternatives, and cost saving strategies
- Drug Data Procurement
- Explain how drug data procurement can support decisions and improve pharmacotherapy in the institution
- Understand the DUE process including prioritizing target drugs, establishing DUE criteria, methods of intervention, implementation of programs, evaluation of patient outcomes & economic outcomes.